Keeping Infosec and IT professionals abreast of new research and content,
upcoming live virtual roundtables and other industry news.
LATEST FROM THE GATE — MEMBER-BASED RESEARCH
Have you seen Wisegate’s latest toolkits? Don’t miss out on getting IT tips and resources inspired by Wisegate members—from learning how to successfully communicate risks to the C-suite and gaining perspective about the evolution of IT security as an industry, these resources can help IT and security pros get quick answers for their careers and company challenges.
Justifying Your IT Budget
When it comes to a strong security program, one of the most fundamental resources IT and security professionals need to be successful is money. But increasing a security budget isn't as easy as one may hope, even with security being a vital part of business. As most IT and security professionals know, business often operates on a lean security program that needs to do more with less. In a recent Wisegate roundtable of vetted IT and security professionals, we were able to gain insights on how to justify your IT budget successfully.
By downloading the "Justifying Your IT Budget" Kit, you will be able to:
Download the Kit
- Ensure leadership understands security needs for the business
- Foster relationships instead of leveraging fear
- Clearly demonstrate the return on investment
- Develop soft-skills in persuasion, and more
WISEGATE NETWORK BUZZ
Top Searches in the Wisegate Community
Top Wisegate Member Discussions
- What are your thoughts on McAfee's Next Gen Firewall and IPS. How does it compare to Palo Alto, SourceFire and CheckPoint?
- Which vendor feeds do you use for intelligence on advanced threats?
- We're looking to migrate away from Blackberrys for our end users. We are considering Samsung Galaxy S5 with Knox or IPhones. Which one would be the most secure?
- A Layered Cyber Security Approach Question
- For vulnerability assessments for 50 to 200 nodes, what approach do you recommend? Would you recommend an automated solution, in house software packages or a service?
- Which secure email gateways do you recommend?
- Information Security Budget
1.) What is your information security budget?
2.) What percent of the organizational budget does this number represent?
3.) Is the budget a security budget or a component of the IT budget?
- Where do you stand backdoors in encryption for law enforcement?
- How do you restrict access to and from Tor?
- We're putting together a strategy around information assurance at our organization. What are your key factors to consider, common pit falls to avoid and best practices?
- When presenting to the board which Cyber metrics would you recommend?
- What method(s) does your organization use to identify its most critical assets in order to apply the appropriate attention and controls?
- I'm interested in a model or questionnaire that you can share.
- I'm evaluating the security risks of Office 365, can you help?
For financial institutions that are using office 365, are you storing sensitive documents on Microsoft's servers?
- What tools can we use to restrict dictionary words from being used in a password in Active Directory?
- What's your organization's policy around password managers for all end users? Do you know of any legal, audit and other issues surrounding the of use password managers? If so, how are you handling them?
- What is Your Policy Regarding Intelligent Personal Assistants?
- In your organization, what team(s) is responsible for the management of IDM and Web SSO solutions?
- Wisegate will be launching a series of calls around metrics September 25th. Help us build the conversation by answering one of these: What's one challenge you're facing today around metrics? What would be helpful to hear in a conversation around metrics?
UPCOMING LIVE RESEARCH, ROUNDTABLES AND EVENTS
Live Research — Live, interactive calls covering Infosec & IT issues and peer discussions
Upcoming Live Research (membership required)
|10/2:||Ramping Up a Security Program | Peer-2-Peer|
|10/7:||CIO Leadership Series: Your Next ReOrg: Be the Architect - Not the Victim | Roundtable|
|10/21:||Performing Security Assessments | Roundtable|
|10/23:||Professionalization of InfoSec: Comparing to Other Industries | Roundtable|
|10/28:||Assessing and Managing Vulnerabilities in Web Applications|
|10/30:||The Identity of Things|
|11/6:||Risk Maturity Models|
WISEGATE IN THE NEWS
FROM OUR INSIDE THE GATE BLOG
More From our Blog
Saving Time and Money Starts With Wisegate
- One of the best parts of working at Wisegate is learning about the different ways the Wisegate Knowledge System is benefiting individuals, organizations, and industries. This blog post features a member who saved $50,000 by utilizing another member's sample policy. Be sure to click the link below for more details and to see how Wisegate can help you.
Read More »
DIRECT FROM THE MOUTH OF WISEGATE MEMBERS
ANTICIPATE BUSINESS CHALLENGES AND SAVE TIME
A Wisegate member had created a digital loss plan over a three-year window, and his company then experienced a breach in Asia. The three-year timeline was compressed and immediate action was required to implement tools, create policy, and develop an exception process, which was needed to prevent employees from writing data to external drives and devices.
The member used Wisegate's polls to collect information from like-minded professionals on their experience and solutions. The results enabled his team to save time, specifically in drafting policy and an exception process. Additionally, member feedback helped anticipate potential problems in their policy and processes that he otherwise might not have contemplated, and more importantly, before they became issues with the executive team. The member was able to look good in front of his bosses by addressing the issues before they surfaced, including DLP, digital loss, USB, and breach.
Everyone wants to look good in front of executives. You can too!
Wisegate connects peers, hosts virtual roundtables, and produces and analyzes customized research, surveys, and more, offering IT leaders the quickest path to answers and decisions. With Wisegate, IT leaders create and implement tried-and-true strategies, ramp up programs, select technologies, manage teams and achieve their goals – at a fraction of the cost.
13413 Galleria Circle
Austin, TX 78738